Friday 21 September 2012

Phlegmatic


Armed with a mug of hot, eddying miso soup
(the wallowing of heat around the swelling,
persistent glands is warmth/music to my inner ears)

Listening to the words of a song,
An anthem of giving
A song that stirs the soul into action:
I reflect on the many devoid (of writing) days past
And,
The day.

I have a disclaimer:
In my need to perfect.
To reconcile myself  with my ever (un) controlled hand
I fall into a helpless, un-avoidable state of abandonment
Where every juncture of the day
Is a piece of writing in the making
If only I could then pull out my quill
And paper
I may have finished my novel by now.

But no.
It is no to be.

Yet.

Disclaimer duly noted to self.

A wedge of light, solid and raising
Penetrated my cave of solid dark
Sticky tiredness:

Consciousness afloat in denying the light
So aware of its overriding power in my wake.

I am stilled by the dust stranded in the rays
Like all those who are caged by hierarchy, servitude
And their dignity, a long fragmented shadow disenthralled
Into the last breath of hope which is the mere thread
That keeps them alive.

Their lifeline.

What am I doing pitying my disease
And revelling in the life I live
When it poses no challenge to the mind?
To the physical body?
To the soul?

I was stirred
By the negative spaces contrasted by sunlight
And vowed that on my rise from disease
I will condemn my comfort.

I will start with the ego
That is addicted to the red number in my periphery
That assuages any loss or rejection.

I will live by what I say:
Be a soldier of conviction
Upstanding in the face of condemnation.

In the face of such a soul stirring morning
How can I not be humiliated by the
Composure, quiet intelligence and abundant talent
Of a writer that ripples the clouds above Brooklyn hill?

It is the silence that intrigues.

x






No comments:

Post a Comment